San Luis Potosi
Huasteca Potosina is a fantastic land of waterfalls, caves and pits, with the 1200ft deep Sotano de las Golondrinas being the main attraction. Most of the interesting locations are clustered around the towns of Aquismon, Xilitla and Ciudad Valles, so when visiting the region for 10 days you will want to spend 2 or 3 days in each location in order to experience the best the region has to offer.
How to get there
The area is best accessed by car from Texas but from other locations it might be preferable to fly into "San Luis Potosi (SLP)" or "Tampico (TAM)" airports, rent a car and then drive 3h to Ciudad Valles. There is a toll road from San Luis Potosi that can cut down that drive time, as of 2015 there is no toll road from Tampico. From SoCal it will be much cheaper to fly out of Tijuana Airport (TIJ), about 1/2 the price, and the new bridge "Cross Border Xpress" planned to open in 2015 will make this process a breeze.
Most car rentals in Mexico will offer much cheaper deals online, so better book in advance. However, most car rentals will often NOT include or even mention about the "mandatory insurance" that will then force you to accept once you are picking up the car. If the car rental if quoted for US $5 a day, the hidden "mandatrory insurance" will add US $30 to that rate. Hertz and Avis proudly advertise they do NOT charge such hidden fees to customers, and both offer discounted rates through Costco. When renting a car, better pay with American Express as it provides additional insurance to cover for loss of use, property damage and any other claims not covered by other insurances. VISA claims to offer the same level of insurance with some of their cards, but Amex offers a "no questions asked, customer is always right" procedure, while VISA does NOT.
Bank of America offers customer the option to order Pesos online and receive them at their home withing 2 business days or even overnight for an extra fee. The exchange will be better than Travelex or any other "official exchange service" you can find. Another option is to get money from ATM in Mexico, and Bank of America customers will get great exchange rates and no ATM fees when using Santander ATMs.
- http://www.visitasanluispotosi.com/ : Official San Luis Potosi site from Mexico Tourism Office
- https://www.google.com/flights/#search;mc=m : Google Flights allows to quickly check flight fares
- http://www.costcotravel.com : Discounted rates on Avis and Hertz car rental are offered for Mexico
- http://www.crossborderxpress.com/ : Bridge across the border will make access to Tijuana airport a breeze
- https://www.bankofamerica.com/foreign-exchange/ : foreign currency delivered to your home
- http://gaia.inegi.org.mx/mdm6/ : Digital Topo Map
- Adventure Companies:
- http://mundoextreme.com.mx/ Adventure Guide Company
- Caving Links:
- http://www.amcs-pubs.org/index.html : Association for Mexican Cave Studies
- http://www.oztotl.com/ps/reports/reports.htm Oztotl Caving Reports